With the advances in laminate flooring resulting in an exceptionally hygienic, durable and affordable product, there is little surprise that it has became an increasingly popular and reliable floor covering choice in recent years. This guide will help you ensure that your laminate flooring is kept well maintained and remain a stunning feature for years to come.
Some general tips to help you care for you new laminate floor:
- Most vacuums are equipped with a hard floor attachment, this should be used regularly to clean the laminate of dirt and grit which could scratch and damage the flooring.
- Your laminate should be cleaned regularly with a damp mop and laminate floor cleaner. This should then be dried thoroughly with a clean cloth.
- Any spillage should be cleaned up straight away with a damp cloth. Liquids should never be left on you floor.
- Nail polish remover or acetone can be used with a clean cloth for tougher stains (e.g. make up). Remember, unlike real wood flooring, laminate can not be sanded, lacquered or refinished.
- Items of furniture should never be dragged across laminate as this may cause deep gouging.
- Chewing gum and candle wax can be removed by hardening the spot with ice then gently scrape with a plastic scraper (e.g. credit card).
- Boards that have been subject to severe damage may need to be replaced. For this it is advised that you seek professional help.
- Paint and ink should be cleaned up immediately. Paint thinner should be on a cloth for this task. Never apply paint thinner directly to laminate flooring.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- When cleaning, never soak your floor or use products not appropriate for laminate as this can damage the flooring and void the warranty.
- Never use a buffing or polishing machine on laminate flooring.
- An entry mat should be used to collect dirt and prevent it from being carried in to your home.
- Floor protectors should be used under furniture to prevent indents and scratches.
- Touch up kits can be purchased to minimise small gouges or scratches.
For further information on how to keep your laminate floor looking like new for longer read this link for even more useful hints and tips.